ccyonce

I live abroad and file for the FEIE every year using the Physical Presence Test. Do I have to file a state return for North Carolina if I don't have any state income?

I live abroad and file for the FEIE every year using the Physical Presence Test. I do own property in North Carolina but I do not receive any income from this property.  I have the following questions:

1. Do I have to file a state return for North Carolina if I don't have any state income?  
  2. Will I have to pay backed taxes if I move back to North Carolina?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Rainman12

1) If this is Not rental property, then there is no possible taxable income, and no reason to file.

2) Resumption of tax residency does Not change obligations/status for prior years ...