Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just moved to Pennsylvania from NYC start of May, but still work in NYC. My work has an option to put in a Pennsylvania PSD, what should I do?

My work has an option to put in a Pennsylvania PSD, along with a work PSD. My work automatically put 880000 on both, and I was looking it up online, that that code is meant for locations outside of Pennsylvania as the PSD is only for Pennsylvania. I changed the resident PSD code to my code in Bensalem Township where my new house is (looked it up on the official PSD locator), and kept the work PSD as 880000. Just wanted to know if that was the right move, or should I revert it to 880000 for both? I still work in NYC and return to Pennsylvania, and I see that my payslips still show NYC taxes, which I'm assuming I have to claim as a credit during tax season as a part-time resident after May. Don't want to mess up any of my tax reporting in the future, so any additional advice for that future tax season is welcome. Thank you! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I just moved to Pennsylvania from NYC start of May, but still work in NYC. My work has an option to put in a Pennsylvania PSD, what should I do?

"I changed the resident PSD code to my code in Bensalem Township where my new house is (looked it up on the official PSD locator), and kept the work PSD as 880000." 

According to this website, that was the correct thing for you to do:

https://keystonecollects.com/faq/out-of-state-employer-pa-resident-employeesfile-quarterly-returns/

BTW, non-residents of NYC are not liable for the NYC income tax.  Since you now live in PA, you should ask your employer to cease withholding for NYC.  You are still liable for NY state income tax on your earnings from work you perform within New York State, so you do want your employer to continue withholding NY state income tax for you.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you Tom, that's very helpful info! Will request that from my company's payroll!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies