turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a w2 for NYC. I live and work here. My company inadvertently had me pay taxes to CA when I do not live there at all. What do I do to get refund back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I have a w2 for NYC. I live and work here. My company inadvertently had me pay taxes to CA when I do not live there at all. What do I do to get refund back?

Unfortunately, the only way to get your California withholding back is to file a nonresident state tax return with zero California income,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! I appreciate your answer. I did do it but I'm seeing that I owe taxes at the end. Why would I owe when I simply did not work there? I filed a state non-resident state tax and also put in the income into the box provided so shouldn't I get all money back?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes you should get all the money back.  Did you put zero as the state income?

@klutzqueen

Yes i just made the change. Now that makes sense! thank you so much!!!! you helped and now i got the refund  back 🙂

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Great!  Glad we figured it out!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies