Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a general business tax credit carryforward and also a current home solar credit. Turbotax is using the solar credit instead of the general business.

The general business credit carryforward should be used before the solar credit.    Turbotax is doing this wrong.  How do I change it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I have a general business tax credit carryforward and also a current home solar credit. Turbotax is using the solar credit instead of the general business.

You can't change it.

If you'll look at the instructions for Line 10b for individuals in the Instructions for Form 3800, residential energy credits on Form 5695 are applied before general business credits:

Enter the amount from Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR, line 19; and Schedule 3 (Form 1040), lines 2 through 5 and 7. 

The residential energy credit will be entered on line 10b of Form 3800, before the allowable business credit is computed. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You can't change it.

If you'll look at the instructions for Line 10b for individuals in the Instructions for Form 3800, residential energy credits on Form 5695 are applied before general business credits:

Enter the amount from Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR, line 19; and Schedule 3 (Form 1040), lines 2 through 5 and 7. 

The residential energy credit will be entered on line 10b of Form 3800, before the allowable business credit is computed. 

Thanks.        I clearly erred about the order of usage for these credits by just using FIFO.     I appreciate your accurate response with reference to the IRS' forms!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies