Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I changed jobs in 2022 & lived in CO all year. 1st W-2 Box 15: VA 2nd W-2 Box 15: CO Were taxes held for VA? Do I get refund for VA if I don't file a return for VA?

I noticed on my W-2 for my first job, it has the following information:
Box 15 (State): VA
Box 16 (State Wages, Tips, etc.): $35,382.94
Box 17: (State Income Tax): $1,706.98

For my second job, my W-2 has the following information:
Box 15 (State): CO
Box 16 (State Wages, Tips, etc.): $37,011.32
Box 17: (State Income Tax): $1,584.00

When I’m about to file my taxes in Turbotax, it says I owe CO $824 but that doesn't sound right. I normally get a refund. Turbotax says I’m owed a federal refund of $552.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I changed jobs in 2022 & lived in CO all year. 1st W-2 Box 15: VA 2nd W-2 Box 15: CO Were taxes held for VA? Do I get refund for VA if I don't file a return for VA?

If you worked in Colorado all year, the Virginia withholding was done in error.  You can use this form 763-S to request the refund instead of filing a nonresident return.  You most likely owe Colorado because of the erroneous Virginia withholding.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, how do I upload that form into Turbotax? If I don't file a VA return, how do I upload form 763-S? I thought everything I uploaded into Turbotax had to be attached to a tax return, either federal or state?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You can file a non-resident state tax return for VA and get your state withholdings for VA refunded to you.

You can get Form763-S  here.

Per Virginia State Website:

Returns that cannot be filed electronically: 763S Virginia Special Nonresident Claim for Individual Income Tax Withheld.

Thank you, I was just going to submit a 763-S instead of filing a non-resident tax form for VA. What is a withholding statement though and how do I find mine? Form 763-S states I must submit my withholding statements.

Thank you for any help.  

Thank you, I'll file a 763-S. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Your withholding statements are most likely referring to your W-2.  It could be referring to your W-4, but W-2 seems more likely.

The difference between a W-2 and W-4 is that the W-4 tells employers how much tax to withhold from an employee's paycheck; the W-2 reports how much an employer paid an employee and how much tax it withheld during the year. Both are required IRS tax forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies