Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax1997

I can't remove the moving deduction from my CA state tax filing on TurboTax. Anyone help?

I originally had included moving expenses in my federal return because I thought I qualified but later removed since I don't actually qualify. For some reason, TurboTax didn't remove it from my CA state taxes and it's showing up there without a supporting form. Does anyone know how I can remove that manually from the form? I've tried going through the federal and state tax options and I'm stuck. Checked that Federal says $0.

Maybe I can redo my state taxes? But can I reset and start a new state tax for free?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I can't remove the moving deduction from my CA state tax filing on TurboTax. Anyone help?

You can start the California return over by deleting it and reloading the information from the Federal return.  Take a look at the TurboTax help articles for details using TurboTax Online or a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax:

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

@Tax1997 --

(Maybe you're already aware) Except for active-duty military, the IRS no longer allows deduction of moving expenses.  But California DOES allow it.  See this for California's rules:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-3913-instructions.html

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies