Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisa12

I bought an S corporation July 1 and I am responsible for filing all tax returns. Do I file one return or two (each for 6 months with different owners)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I bought an S corporation July 1 and I am responsible for filing all tax returns. Do I file one return or two (each for 6 months with different owners)?

This is nothing you want to complete yourself due to the complexity of the situation especially if your books are not in order  ... seek qualified professional assistance.
lisa12

Thanks. Everyone keeps telling me different things. Do I go to someone who wants to file two returns, or just one and show the ownership change?

If you bought the shares of the existing corporation, only one corporate tax return would be filed.

If you bought all of the assets of a business and formed a new corporation, then two corporate tax returns are filed (one by you, one by the former owner).
lisa12

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies