Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zorkk

I am still getting the wrong amount on NYS return

We will be moving to NYS next year so I wanted to compare this year's income in our current state to what we would have paid in NY.

In the TurboTax NYS return with a taxable income of $16,116, it is saying the tax owed is $722. But on the NYS tax tables it is $524. Turbotax's Tax Computation worksheet is blank because the income is below $107K. So how did it come up with $722?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are looking at the wrong tax table. You scrolled down to the New York City Tax Table. For taxable income of $16,116 the New York State tax is $722. The New York City tax is $524.

But those amounts are for a filing status of single or married filing separately. In your question you said "we" and "our." That sounds like you should be filing as married filing jointly. Check the filing status on the hypothetical New York return that you are preparing, and make sure you look in the column for the correct filing status in the tax table.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are looking at the wrong tax table. You scrolled down to the New York City Tax Table. For taxable income of $16,116 the New York State tax is $722. The New York City tax is $524.

But those amounts are for a filing status of single or married filing separately. In your question you said "we" and "our." That sounds like you should be filing as married filing jointly. Check the filing status on the hypothetical New York return that you are preparing, and make sure you look in the column for the correct filing status in the tax table.

zorkk

Thank you rjs, I wasn't seeing the difference between the NYCity and NYState charts. And the tax would be for a single individual so the calculation of $722 is correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies