khoagland1810

I am a full time college student in MA and paid $397 of state taxes there although my residence is in WA state. Can I write off my MA taxes on my Federal return?

DS30

It depends but if you are considered a permanent resident of WA and a nonresident MA, then you are only be allowed to claim a state income tax or state sales tax deduction for your state of residence (even if your state of residence does not have state income taxes (like WA)). You cannot claim a federal deduction for nonresident state income tax payments.

DS30