Solved: I am a full time college student in MA and paid $397 of state taxes there although my residence is in WA state. Can I write off my MA taxes on my Federal return?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khoagland1810

I am a full time college student in MA and paid $397 of state taxes there although my residence is in WA state. Can I write off my MA taxes on my Federal return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I am a full time college student in MA and paid $397 of state taxes there although my residence is in WA state. Can I write off my MA taxes on my Federal return?

It depends but if you are considered a permanent resident of WA and a nonresident MA, then you are only be allowed to claim a state income tax or state sales tax deduction for your state of residence (even if your state of residence does not have state income taxes (like WA)). You cannot claim a federal deduction for nonresident state income tax payments.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends but if you are considered a permanent resident of WA and a nonresident MA, then you are only be allowed to claim a state income tax or state sales tax deduction for your state of residence (even if your state of residence does not have state income taxes (like WA)). You cannot claim a federal deduction for nonresident state income tax payments.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings