Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already paid to file in indiana, do I still have to pay to file in michigan

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you are an Indiana resident, you may not need to file a Michigan return.  Indiana and Michigan are reciprocal states, which means you are taxed where you live and not where you work.  Thus, if you have a job in Michigan, and Indiana tax was withheld, you do not need to file a Michigan return.  Here is an FAQ about reciprocal states:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

However, if you do need to file a Michigan return, either because Michigan tax was incorrectly withheld, for instance, then  each state return does have it's separate charge.  If you file the return using TurboTax, you would have to pay the extra charge to do so, but you may also see if the Michigan state website provides you with optional ways of filing the return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you are an Indiana resident, you may not need to file a Michigan return.  Indiana and Michigan are reciprocal states, which means you are taxed where you live and not where you work.  Thus, if you have a job in Michigan, and Indiana tax was withheld, you do not need to file a Michigan return.  Here is an FAQ about reciprocal states:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

However, if you do need to file a Michigan return, either because Michigan tax was incorrectly withheld, for instance, then  each state return does have it's separate charge.  If you file the return using TurboTax, you would have to pay the extra charge to do so, but you may also see if the Michigan state website provides you with optional ways of filing the return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies