Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA 1099-SA

I ENTERED MY 1099-SA WHERE I HAVE $3000.00 GROSSDISTRIBUTION USED FOR DR AND PRESCRIPTINS 100%.

$3000  APPEARED ON FEDERAL MEDICAL EXPENSE WORKSHEET LINE 13 B.

I GOT NO OTHER MEDICAL EXPENSES ON FEDERAL WORKSHHET =0

SAME AMOUNT  ($3000.00 ) APPEARS ON  NEW JERSEY WORKSHHET F DEDUCTION FOR MEDICAL EXPENSES ON LINE 1A  AS TOTAL NONREIMBURST FEDERAL MEDICAL EXPENSES AND AFTER COMPUTING

2% OF OF NJ GROSS INCOME WAS DEDUCTED FROM $3000.00 AND GAVE ME DEDUCTION ON MY NJ TAX RETURN  LINE 31

IS THIS CORRECT?

GROSS DISTRIBUTIONS  1099-SA ARE  NONREIMBURST FEDERAL MEDICAL EXPENSE AND THEY COULD BE USED ON NJ RETURN TO COMPUTE MEDICAL EXPENSES ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

HSA 1099-SA

Yes, that's correct. The medical expenses that you paid from your HSA can be claimed as medical expenses on the New Jersey tax return because New Jersey does not allow any tax benefit for an HSA. Money that you put into your HSA is pre-tax for federal, but not for New Jersey. The money in your HSA was already taxed by New Jersey. So as far as New Jersey is concerned, using it for medical expenses is just like using part of your pay for medical expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

HSA 1099-SA

Yes, that's correct. The medical expenses that you paid from your HSA can be claimed as medical expenses on the New Jersey tax return because New Jersey does not allow any tax benefit for an HSA. Money that you put into your HSA is pre-tax for federal, but not for New Jersey. The money in your HSA was already taxed by New Jersey. So as far as New Jersey is concerned, using it for medical expenses is just like using part of your pay for medical expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies