Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sabow71

How to reclaim state taxes deducted for AZ when I live in TN?

I moved to TN on 2/14/2023 but stayed with the same employer. Even though I updated my tax forms to TN, the state deductions for AZ were still made. TN does not have a state tax. I have entered my filing state as TN and indicated AZ as previous state with move date of 2/14/2023 but Turbo Tax calculation still indicates I owe state tax. Am I obligated to pay a full tax year to AZ even though I was only there a few weeks? How do I file in Turbo Tax to pay only for the portion of time I was in AZ and refund the remainder?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You can do this by filing Arizona Form 140PY, Part-Year Resident Personal Income Tax Return. See the TurboTax Help article How do I file a part-year state return? for guidance.

You might also check with your employer or its payroll company, just to make sure that withholding was actually paid to Arizona, as shown on your Form W-2.  It's not uncommon to have errors on W-2 forms.

But, if the W-2 correctly reflects that state withholding was made to Arizona, be sure to enter the state information into TurboTax, exactly as it appears on your W-2, and follow the guidance in the first link above.

[Edited 1/24/2024 | 10:26 am PST]

@sabow71

Hal_Al
Level 15

You claim a refund by filing a part-year resident personal income tax  form for your Arizona tax return.  

Form is used by part-year residents to report all income earned while an Arizona resident (including related expenses, allowable deductions and credits) and any income earned from Arizona sources (including related expenses, allowable deductions and credits) after leaving (or before moving to) the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies