turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cankubra

How to put exact residency dates on Turbo Tax if I am partial-resident and not from another state from USA?

I cant not see any tab or drop-down menu to put exact residency dates on Turbo Tax. If there is, please tell me the exact path. I have partial residency but I did not come from any other state, I came from abroad. So I did not make any money from any other state. .üTurbo tax only asks if I am am a full resident or partial resident. After I chose a partial resident, there is no other page to put the dates. thanks you,
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How to put exact residency dates on Turbo Tax if I am partial-resident and not from another state from USA?

Could you clarify your situation? 

Are you a nonresident alien?  If so, TurboTax doesn't support IRS Form 1040-NR (U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return).  See the TurboTax Help article Does TurboTax handle Form 1040-NR for nonresident aliens? for more information.

If not, what is your citizenship status?  Where did you reside during the year?  Do you have a Social Security number or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)? 

Any other information you might provide could be helpful.

cankubra

Hi,

I have residency since December 2023 and I have income since December 2023 in USA NJ. I have SS number and I have salary income and W2. So I am eligible to prepare tax return for one month in 2023. Before I was living another country. However, I couldn’t find the tab in turbotax to put exact residency dates.

cankubra

Am I a nonresident alien? I came to the USA via L1 Visa in November 2023.  I have my SS and started to get salary payments since December. If so, I can not to fill a tax return on Turbotax, can I?

Thank you

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you're required to file a federal return for 2023, you can use Form 1040 (US Individual Income Tax Return) if any of these are true:

• You're a US citizen.
  • You're a resident of the US or Puerto Rico.
  • You have a Permanent Resident Card ("green card").
  • You're a nonresident alien married to a US citizen/resident alien with whom you'll file a joint return.
  • You meet the substantial presence test, which means you were physically present in the US for at least 31 days in 2023 and at least 183 days in 2021 through 2023, according to this formula:    2023 days + (2022 days)/3 + (2021 days)/6 >= 183

In addition to those who don't pass the substantial presence test, nonresident aliens (who file 1040-NR) also include:

• Foreign nationals
  • Anybody who isn't a US citizen, US or Puerto Rico resident alien, or doesn't hold a green card
  • A person who has income from or participates in a US-sourced trade or business

Unlike the 1040, there's no minimum income threshold for filing a 1040-NR. In other words, nonresident aliens with US income, regardless of amount, are required to file a 1040-NR.

See Which form do I file?

Although TurboTax doesn't support IRS Form 1040-NR (U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return), we have partnered with Sprintax to offer both federal and state tax preparation for international students, scholars, and nonresident foreign professionals.    Please visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies