Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to provide State e-file documents for NC D-400TC

My federal filing includes Form 1116 for passive income in a foreign country and I wish to claim a foreign tax credit (FTC) with my North Carolina income tax.

NC D-400TC instructions for line 6 state that:

"Important: You must attach a copy of the tax return filed with the other state or country and a copy of your check, receipt or other proof showing payment of income tax paid to the other state or country."

but Turbotax does not collect this information.

What happens to a NC e-file submission since it will not include this documentation? Do I wait for a letter from the NC DOR to request it, or will the claim for the FTC to be outright denied?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

How to provide State e-file documents for NC D-400TC

Unlike federal mailed returns, state mailed returns are processed fairly quickly. I would print and mail your North Carolina return this year in order to attach the required proof to the return.  

Although it may be a little slower this week due to volume, I've seen North Carolina paper returns processed in under two weeks this tax year.  I imagine this would be significantly quicker than any delay that may be caused by failing to include the required proof with the tax return from the start.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies