Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to make a change on Schedule HC for Massachusetts printed return that has not been sent but federal tax has been efiled?

I have a situation where I found out after reviewing my printed Massachusetts state return that my answer to question no. 10 on the Schedule HC should have been NO, instead of Yes.

I had health insurance through my first company till end of June, and then I quit and took a break and joined a new company where the health insurance started from Dec 1st. So, the only months where I didn't meet the MCC were 5 months - July, Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov. 

I didn't take the insurance that could be continued through COBRA as the premium was around triple of what I was paying through my first employer.  

At the time of filing with Turbo Tax, the option was there not to pay the penalty now but file an appeal. So, i did that. But, when answering the question 10, I didn't see the explanation on how to select it properly.

Question and instructions on the printed form were:

10. Did your employer offer affordable health insurance that met minimum creditable coverage requirements as determined by completing the Schedule HC Worksheet for Line 10 in the instructions? Yes  No

Fill in No if your employer did not offer health insurance that met minimum creditable coverage requirements, you were not eligible for health insurance offered by
your employer, you were self-employed or you were unemployed.

I answered Yes.
Later on reviewing the printed tax return, I feel I should have answered No instead of Yes as I thought the question was for any part of the year.

As I mentioned before, I have efiled my federal and non-resident state returns. But TurboTax asked me to print and mail my Massachusetts return as the wages from the non-resident state was carried over to MA's return.

So, should I make the change on the MA's Schedule HC form through Turbo Tax?
Would that start as an Amendment and charge me as a new fee?
Should I make the adjustments on the printed form with pen and send it?
Or should I just send it as it is, and when MA State Department of Revenue send me the appeal form, should I mention that I was unemployed for the 5 months?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

How to make a change on Schedule HC for Massachusetts printed return that has not been sent but federal tax has been efiled?

Follow these steps: How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal? then you will be able to go in, make your corrections and re-print the Massachusetts return so you can mail it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@mary Thanks for your help.

However, I didn't chose that option as it was going to take to take me to an amendment process and the option to change just the Schedule HC wasn't there. So, I was worried that TurboTax would trigger an amendment, and may even impact the already e-filed Federal return and the non-resident state return. So, I ended up speaking with TurboTax phone support and the agent and I both felt that making the changes on the printed form would be easiest as there's no change to income or deductions.  I have mailed in my printed MA state tax return form. Keeping my fingers crossed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies