turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find out if my California amounts (or my exception code) is different from federal? There was already a calculation loaded into the Non-simple Plans.

This question applies to the additional tax on early distribution section
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

How do I find out if my California amounts (or my exception code) is different from federal? There was already a calculation loaded into the Non-simple Plans.

Generally, California imposes additional taxes on early distributions with some exceptions.

The California excise tax on early withdrawals is 2.5%, or 6% for distributions made from Savings Incentive Match Plans for Employees (SIMPLE) plans within the first 2 years of participation.

California and federal laws are generally the same for the tax on early distributions except for the rate of tax assessed. California does not conform to all of the federal exceptions to the additional tax on early distributions. The amount of an IRA or Keogh distribution included in income may differ for state and federal tax purposes. Also, California does not have taxes similar to the tax on excess contributions to traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Coverdell ESAs, ABLE accounts, Archer MSAs, or tax on excess accumulation in qualified retirement plans.

If it was included in California income, the amount of the early distributions you must include in income for California purposes may differ from the amount reported on your federal return if the amount of contributions you deducted for California was different than the federal amount. 

See Instructions for Form FTB 3805P for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies