lacey_h

Hi there, If I received a Federal fellowship through my CA university, but after I became a VA resident, which state should I pay estimated taxes to?

DaveF1006

if you were a part-year resident in California in 2019, this would be reported as California income.  

lacey_h

Thanks so much @DaveF1006 !

I was a part-year CA resident in 2019, but non-resident in 2020. I received the funds from my CA university in April 2020 (disbursement was delayed) and will be a full-time resident of VA in 2020. This will be the only out of state income reported for 2020; does this mean I should still pay estimated taxes to CA, or VA? 

Thank you!

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing