turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I lived in New Jersey from January 1 2018 to September 1 2018 and made 64000 then i moved to New York and lived there from september 1 2018 to now i made 38000

hi I lived in New Jersey from January 1 2018 to September 1 2018 and made 64000 then i moved to New York and lived there from september 1 2018 to now i made 38000 and paid 1700 in taxes but it says i owe New York 7 dollars and it keep say my taxible income in NY is 89000 im confused 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Hi I lived in New Jersey from January 1 2018 to September 1 2018 and made 64000 then i moved to New York and lived there from september 1 2018 to now i made 38000

It depends.  If you worked in New York all year they would be taxing all of your income, first as a nonresident and then as a resident.  (If you worked in NJ all year, the situation is the exact opposite).  However if you moved both physically and professionally to New York, then New York does not tax all of your income.  They do use all of your income, however, to determine your NY part-year resident tax.

In your situation, New York pretends that all 102000 is taxable in New York, calculates out how much taxable income you would have in New York on that income (your eligible deductions takes the amount down to $89000 of taxable income), and figures out the tax on that amount.  Then the tax is prorated to the amount of income you earned in NY.  (tax on $89,000, multiplied by 39,000 and divided by 102,000, which was the total gross income earned).  Once prorated, the result is subtracted from the amount of NY tax that was withheld.  $7 sounds like a very possible number in your case.

But NY is not taxing the income you earned in NJ while you were living there.  It does use all of your income, however, to determine how much tax you must pay to NY. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you worked in New York all year they would be taxing all of your income, first as a nonresident and then as a resident.  (If you worked in NJ all year, the situation is the exact opposite).  However if you moved both physically and professionally to New York, then New York does not tax all of your income.  They do use all of your income, however, to determine your NY part-year resident tax.

In your situation, New York pretends that all 102000 is taxable in New York, calculates out how much taxable income you would have in New York on that income (your eligible deductions takes the amount down to $89000 of taxable income), and figures out the tax on that amount.  Then the tax is prorated to the amount of income you earned in NY.  (tax on $89,000, multiplied by 39,000 and divided by 102,000, which was the total gross income earned).  Once prorated, the result is subtracted from the amount of NY tax that was withheld.  $7 sounds like a very possible number in your case.

But NY is not taxing the income you earned in NJ while you were living there.  It does use all of your income, however, to determine how much tax you must pay to NY. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies