Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ps22

I'm requesting an extension to meet the physical presence test. Do I still pay taxes on April 15th, even if that amount will change after I qualify?

I moved abroad in August 2016. I'll meet the Physical Presence Test in July 2017, so I'm planning on requesting an extension until October. Right now, my foreign earned income isn't excluded, so (for example) my estimated tax payment is $3000. After my foreign earned income is excluded, I expect my tax payment to be less. I know I still have to pay by April 15. My question is: do I pay the full $3000 and then get a refund when I file in July? Or should I wait to see if I owe anything in July? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I'm requesting an extension to meet the physical presence test. Do I still pay taxes on April 15th, even if that amount will change after I qualify?

Will it let you fill everything out using your estimated dates?  It will probably show an error because the date is in the future, but you can get it to fill everything out, then you will know exactly how much you will owe.

Yes ... just to get how much you will owe you can enter false dates 2/1/16 to 2/1/17 would work ... then fix the dates when you actually file.

No, those dates might not work (depending on the amount of the Foreign Earned Income).

The OP left in August (5 months in 2016), so they only qualify for up to about 5/12 of the Maximum Exclusion.  Using your dates, TurboTax would allow up to 11/12 of the Maximum Exclusion.
ps22

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your responses! @TaxGuyBill I was able to use a future date to fill everything out. I can't file until the future date, but for now when I go to apply for an extension, I only pay what I'm expected to owe on the return.

Correct ... only pay want you expect to owe.

You only need to pay what you expect to owe on the return when it is filed ... paying extra is not required.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies