Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rshirely

Hello from [PII Removed] in michigan. on febuary 14, 2018 I filed my 2017 income tax with you and today noticed that I had not listed my social security. what can I do

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Hello from [PII Removed] in michigan. on febuary 14, 2018 I filed my 2017 income tax with you and today noticed that I had not listed my social security. what can I do

You may prepare an amended return.  You might not have to file it, however.  Social Security income can be anywhere from not taxable at all to 85% taxable (and it's a complicated formula.  However, the more income you have, the more likely it is that your SS income will be taxable).  Please note the following FAQ with instructions on how to prepare the amended return:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6603004

Once you follow those instructions and enter your Social Security, if you see that you either get more refund (not likely) or have to pay money back, then you will probably have to mail in your amended return for the adjustment.  However, you can wait until you get the refund, just in case the IRS makes the adjustment for you (which occasionally happens).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You may prepare an amended return.  You might not have to file it, however.  Social Security income can be anywhere from not taxable at all to 85% taxable (and it's a complicated formula.  However, the more income you have, the more likely it is that your SS income will be taxable).  Please note the following FAQ with instructions on how to prepare the amended return:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6603004

Once you follow those instructions and enter your Social Security, if you see that you either get more refund (not likely) or have to pay money back, then you will probably have to mail in your amended return for the adjustment.  However, you can wait until you get the refund, just in case the IRS makes the adjustment for you (which occasionally happens).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies