Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RMV611
Returning Member

Getting this error "Return cannot be e-filed when the sum of Illinois wages plus out of state wages on all W-2s does not equal total wages reported on IL schedule CR." How do I correct this in the TurboTax desktop?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Getting this error "Return cannot be e-filed when the sum of Illinois wages plus out of state wages on all W-2s does not equal total wages reported on IL schedule CR." How do I correct this in the TurboTax desktop?

Please clarify your question.

Unfortunately, we can't see your tax return to see where you have a problem, so I'll have to ask you a couple of questions.

• Do you live in Illinois?
  • Did you live in Illinois all year (2023)?
  • Did you work in other states?
  • Dose the total for Illinois income equal the total earned in Illinois and all other states?

Please contact us again with any additional questions or to provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

Suggestion: look at Line 1 of your Illinois Schedule CR and see if the amounts in columns A & B match the amounts on your W-2's.  If the Schedule CR amounts are a dollar or two too high, then you're probably dealing with a rounding error.  (You will note that the Schedule CR asks for "whole dollars only".)

If the rounding results in the Schedule CR amount being only a dollar too high, the computer will reject your return.  If that's what's happening, just reduce the amounts by a dollar and your return should go through.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
RMV611
Returning Member

• Do you live in Illinois?-----Yes
  • Did you live in Illinois all year (2023)?-----Yes
  • Did you work in other states?-----No. Only worked in IL. The other state income is from gas royalties in PA.
  • Dose the total for Illinois income equal the total earned in Illinois and all other states?-----I'm not sure

Here is my token ID. Can you help me figure out? 

Your token number is: 1226780

Thanks!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I ran your Token file, and when I ran the Federal Review I got the same error message that you did .

• I went back and checked all of the numbers, but didn't change anything.
  • I then ran the Federal Review again.
  • I did not get the same error a second time.
  • I've made multiple attempts and can not reproduce it.

What have you experienced?

@RMV611 

RMV611
Returning Member

I keep getting the same error as before

RMV611
Returning Member

If I remove the PA state tax return, it allows me to e-file the Federal and IL state return. Would it be an option to go ahead and submit the Federal and IL state return and then go back afterwards and file the PA state return?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file them separately. PA is a standalone state so there is no concern. See more here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies