Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lkayjam
Returning Member

Georgia Didn’t except Itemize deductions.

On 2019 taxes in state of Georgia we itemize deductions Because you have to do the same that you filed for the IRS so the state of Georgia did not except are itemized deductions  receipt so now I have hey the state of Georgia it took them six months to complete going through the receipts so now I have to pay late fee the interest is there anything I can do 2020 taxes.? Am I supposed to amend my taxes?? do I have to kind that is income since we having to pay in instead of getting money back?? How come the IRS can accept itemize deductions but not state of Georgia??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Georgia Didn’t except Itemize deductions.

Georgia requires taxpayers to use the same election on their federal tax return, whether that be itemized deductions or a standard deduction. 

If you were audited by Georgia for your 2019 itemized deductions and they were not allowed, then yes, you must amend your return, including your federal return.

Generally, if the deductions were disallowed by the state, they would be disallowed at the federal level as well. You must be able to substantiate your itemized deductions. If you could not do so during a state review of your return, then you must amend your federal return and remove deductions you cannot prove to ensure only valid deductions are being taken. 

You will not have to claim anything in income if you amend; rather, you will pay the balance due once the correct deductions are entered. You will most likely take the standard deduction on the federal return as well. 

To amend your 2019 return, please see How do I amend a 2019 return in TurboTax?

For 2020, it is important to only take the itemized deductions if you have sufficient proof of the deduction. If you use the standard deduction, then use the standard with Georgia as well. If you itemize on your 1040, then itemize on your Georgia return as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies