Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gambling winnings nj

New Jersey resident received w-2 G for winnings in the state of New York

I entered my w-2 g in the federal part of turbo tax and it came up on sch 1 as income $2340.

Same number came up on my NY none resident return and i owe money.

Problem i have is on my NEW JERSEY RETURN where it comes up as  zero.

On NJ GAMBLING statement it shows like this:

1) Total gambling's                                                                 $ 2340

2)Total gambling losses (to the extent of winnings)         $ 2340 ( I NEVER ENTER THIS  LOSSES ANYWHERE)

THEY JUST SHOWED UP?  

3) Net gambling income                                                        $ 0

New Jersey Lottery winnings from prize amounts exceeding $10,000 became subject to the Gross Income Tax 

Out-of-state lottery winnings are taxable for New Jersey Gross Income Tax purposes regardless of the amount.

STANDARD DEDUCTION USED ON FEDERAL RETURN

2 questions

1) is it taxable ?

2)can i offset this with loosing lotto tickets purchased in NJ OR THEY MUST BE FROM NY

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

gambling winnings nj

The NJ tax reference that I previously gave you says that "all" types of gambling losses may be deducted, up to the amount of winnings.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

gambling winnings nj

According to New Jersey Tax Bulletin TB-20(R):

1.  ALL gambling winnings* are subject to New Jersey Gross Income Tax.

2.  Taxpayers may deduct "all types of gambling losses" from their total gambling winnings, not to exceed the total of the winnings.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tb/tb20r.pdf

* NJ exempts the first $10,000 of New Jersey Lottery prize amounts from NJ taxation

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

gambling winnings nj

Out-of-state lottery winnings are taxable for New Jersey Gross Income Tax purposes regardless of the amount

So in my case its out of state winning and its taxable.

CAN I USE NONE WINNING NEW JERSEY LOTTO TICKETS TO OFSET  THIS NEW YORK OUT OF STATE WINNINGS ?

TomD8
Level 15

gambling winnings nj

The NJ tax reference that I previously gave you says that "all" types of gambling losses may be deducted, up to the amount of winnings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies