turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I split the taxes paid between me and my spouse for another state that we are filing separately?

Turbo tax recommends we file separately in one state and jointly in another. For the state that we are filing separately, how do I enter the amount of tax paid to the other states (in order not to pay state tax multiple times for the same income)? The actual tax paid to the other state was in a joint return, how do I split it between me and my spouse?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I split the taxes paid between me and my spouse for another state that we are filing separately?

You do not say what state you are in, but if you are in a community property state, everything is considered to be 50/50.

If you are not in a community property state, your separate tax liability would be a ratio related to your income.  

For example, let's pretend that you earned $100,000 and your spouse earned $50,000 for a total income of $150,000.  

Your percentage of the income would be 100,000 divided by 150,000 or 67%, and your spouse's percentage of your total income would be 50,000 divided by 150,000 or 33%.  

Therefore, if your tax bill was $10,000 then 67% or $6,700 is your share of the tax and 33% or $3,300 would be your spouse's share.

Thanks! The state we are filing separately is CT. The state we are filing jointly is MA. In this case, which state's categeory is important for this split, for entering the taxes paid to MA as the other state in the tax return for CT?

From the information you have provided, the number you are looking for is the TOTAL TAX PAID to the state of Massachusetts.  You would multiply this amount by your income ratio and use the separate amounts on your Connecticut returns.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies