Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 760 PY form is not letting me complete my state filing although I'm a fulltime resident

I'm having issues with filing my state taxes in TurboTax.

I'm a fulltime resident with one job in the state of Virginia, yet when trying to submit my forms the 760PY, which all have zeros, is preventing me to continue.

I cannot seem to go passed this section and find it unfair that it's a paid service that I am not using. 

I have already cleared the forms once, but it's still not letting me pass the  form.  I'm not a parttime resident.

How can I get passed this with TurboTax before I switch to another provider?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Form 760 PY form is not letting me complete my state filing although I'm a fulltime resident

As a residents you need to file Form 760.

Go back to the My Info section and check your entries. Make sure, your state of residence is correct and you answered No to the question Lived in another state in 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did check it more than one. 

I even redid the form and it still has it that I am a part time resident.  

Even though I haven't been one since 2018 when I moved down from Boston to Virginia.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Silly question: are you filing married joint, and your spouse did not live in Virginia the full year? - I had to ask.

Maya asked you about the Personal Info on the federal return, and I know you checked that. How about at the beginning of the Virginia interview where you see this: 

1. Did the screen "It looks like you were a Virginia full-year resident..." - If not, the federal info is wrong.

2. Did you hit YES or NO? (sometimes we fall asleep and just hit the button on the right where Continue is on other pages).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey thanks for that info.

I went back and forth with it and I couldn't get past it. 

It was getting too frustrating. I had to use another e-filing software from the IRS.  It was the only way I can file online without going to the post office.

In doing so I found that in the State side, they still had Massachusetts' link in my profile as if I was still filing part year.  I have not even been back since I've moved down in 2018.  I might have to contact someone in the Tax office to get that cleared up. Especially if this is going to be a yearly problem.

Thankfully I was able to file electronically without an issue.  Sadly, I had to go past Turbo Tax in order to do so.

Thanks again for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies