turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpdepucci

Form 4852

I was able to pay and EFILE with form 4852 attached.  My return was also accepted from the IRS per the confirmation email I received.   I did call the IRS beforehand and gave them a stern warning that I could not obtain my w-2 from my previous employer, and I used last year's w-2.   

They said they sent my previous employer a notification but after 10 days still nothing.  I called the IRS back and advised again and they said to file with form 4852 and I also told the agent I wanted this documented in my file so at the time of retribution there are no surprises.  

At the end of my income review I checked the box - I did not get a W-2.  I printed out that document and saved it to PDF for my records as the instructions said to do.  

Either the support instructions are old or something has changed and the people answering these questions on here don't know.   Or I'll be **bleep** out of luck.    I hope it's not the latter.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Form 4852

It sounds like you completed your return properly using the substitute W2, Form 4852.  Normally it is recommended that you use your last pay stub, but if you are a salaried worker and your work schedule was identical to last year, your W2 from last year would be a good estimate as well.

For reference, here is the TurboTax Help article, How do I file a substitute W2 using Form 4852?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jpdepucci

Form 4852

Hi Rachael,

I wasn't asking a question.  I was making a point that I was able to EFILE using a 4852 whereas the support articles on turbotax indicate you cannot.

My return has been accepted by the IRS.  Now what happens after that, I do not know.  But I was able to EFILE.

I find it ironic that the IRS cannot look up and assist with getting my 2023 w-2, but by golly submit wrong information and they'll take you to the hanging tree.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies