Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Florida Residency

I have a home in NJ and a home in Florida. I purchased my home in NJ in 1976 and my home in Florida in 2018. I spend about 8 months in Florida and 4 months in NJ. My wife and I are considering becoming Florida residents to eliminate paying NJ income taxes. My wife and I are retired and our income comes from social security, a pension, investment interest and dividends and RMD's.

When I'm in Florida, my NJ mail is forwarded to Florida and vice versa when I'm in NJ. I get very little mail as almost everything is done online (i.e. paying bills). In 2024, I will have been in Florida from Jan. 1 - May 11. I will be in NJ from May 11 until the middle of Sept. and then go back to Florida for the remaining months in 2024. Since 2019, I've been spending about 7 months per year in Florida.

For income tax purposes, can I decide what date I want to change my residency and then several months later do it officially with Florida "officials" ? How do I determine how much of my yearly income is taxable in NJ? If I'm in NJ for 4.5 months, can I prorate all 2024 income and pay NJ taxes on 4.5/12 of that income?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Florida Residency

For state income tax purposes, the relevant concept in your situation is one of domicile.  You can have only domicile at a time.  If NJ is still your state of domicile, then all your income is taxable by NJ - regardless of how many or how few months you actually stay in NJ.  NJ has a tax publication that explains the concept of domicile in detail.  Here's a link to that publication:

https://www.nj.gov/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tgi-ee/git6.pdf

In order to become a tax resident of Florida, you would have to abandon your domicile in NJ and establish a new domicile in Florida.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies