Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Florida Domicile

I established my Florida domicile on Jan. 1, 2024. I am Florida homestead for the entire year of 2024. My wife and I have Florida drivers licenses and are registered to vote. I'm still in the process of changing my addresses to Florida with my banks - all of which have branches in Florida. Also, my brokerage accounts, pension account, etc. 

I've owned my home in Florida since 2018 and for the last few years, we've been spending 7-8 months living in Florida. We still own a home in NJ but are spending less and less time there. Currently, we don't have any plans to sell it. 

I've payed some NJ income taxes during the first quarter of 2024 (i.e. pension, IRA annuity and NJ estimated tax). I have stopped those payments. I plan to file a 2024 NJ-1040NR New Jersey Non-resident Income Tax Return to get a refund of the NJ income tax deductions/payments that I made during the first quarter of 2024.

I did a sample return based on my 2023 tax return. How do I change the drivers license number on the return? Since I was a NJ resident for 2022, 2021, etc., am I entitled to future Anchor rebate checks?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Florida Domicile

The driver's license is entered in the File section of TurboTax.  This is updated when you file your 2024 tax return. 

As for the Anchor Rebate, typically you must be a NJ resident to qualify. Click here to view the Anchor qualifications for the credit that expired on December 31, 2023. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Florida Domicile

Thank you.  For the 2020 benefit, the eligibility requirements say the following:

"You are eligible for an ANCHOR benefit based on 2020 residency, income, and age, if you met these requirements: You were a New Jersey resident; and. Your 2020 New Jersey gross income was not more than $150,000.00."

The eligibility for the most recent ANCHOR benefit was based on the 2021 residency. Since I was a NJ resident in 2021, 2022 and 2023, I believe I meet the requirements for ANCHOR benefits for 2022 and 2023.

Do you agree?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Florida Domicile

The current information (updated 2/7/24) on the NJ Division of Taxation page shows the ANCHOR being based on 2020 residency with a filing deadline of 12/29/23. There does not seem to information on an ANCHOR program based on 2021 residency. 

@mitchden1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies