Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Filling as a Non-resident

Where do I have to include that I am not a US resident:
1 Reply
New Member

Filling as a Non-resident

If you are not a United States (US) citizen, or a US Resident Alien -- in other words a Nonresident Alien --for US income tax purposes, then we have some important news for you.

While TurboTax can complete most any type of tax return for US citizens and resident aliens, at the present time we do not support the nonresident Form 1040NR series of tax returns, nor Form 8843, which are required of nonresidents when filing tax returns in the US.  This is the reason you don't see any place in the software to indicate that you are a nonresident:  that feature simply does not exist in TurboTax.

However, TurboTax has partnered with a company called "" to offer complete nonresident tax preparation services.  They can certainly help you with filing a Form 1040NR, as well as other necessary tax forms.  If you decide to go with them, then you won't need to find a specialized tax lawyer, accountant, or other international tax specialist to help you.  They are a cost-effective way to take care of your nonresident tax compliance needs.

For further information you can visit them on the internet at:


We are happy to pass this information along to you, and thank you for thinking of TurboTax.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings