Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

phyprashant
Returning Member

Filing Taxes with Different State Incomes: Joint Federal and Separate State Returns

Greetings,
For the tax year 2020, both my spouse and I earned income in different states—I worked in New Mexico, and my wife worked in Nebraska—and we wish to file a joint federal return (Married Filing Jointly, MFJ). However, when preparing the state tax returns, I noticed that my name appears first and my wife's name second in Nebraska state returns, with no option to alter this order or update my wife's address. Is it possible to file jointly for federal taxes and separately for state taxes (Married Filing Separately, MFS) to ensure the names are listed in the correct order?
Thanks
With best regards

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Filing Taxes with Different State Incomes: Joint Federal and Separate State Returns

It depends on the rules of the state.  Since you put your name first in the federal return it will move that way to the state returns. You may have to prepare the Nebraska (NE) return by paper.

• Your NE filing status must be the same as your federal filing status. An exception to this rule is if you are married filing jointly and one of you is a Nebraska resident and the other spouse is a part year or nonresident.

It's not clear if you are each a resident in the state where you work. Here is a link to the NE Individual Income Tax FAQs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies