Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing second amendment and TurboTax summary page seems to calculate Payment Due on original submission, not first amendment

Hi!  When I filed originally I had a total overpayment of $22,330, I filed an initial amendment and then had a total overpayment of $25,149.  I'm now filing my second amendment and it states my total overpayment is $13,701.  However, the TT summary page tells me I have a Payment Due of $8629 which is the difference between my original and final overpayments($22,330-$13,701 = $8629).  If the total overpayment of my second amend is $13,701 but I've received a total of $25,149 as of the first amendment, shouldn't I owe more($25,149-$13,701 = $11,448)?

This is a state return and my first thought is maybe it was using documentation from my original, not the amended return, but I've confirmed that the 1040 amounts I'm using are from the first amendment.  I think TT's summary calculation is incorrect here and was just hoping somebody could confirm it might get this wrong.

Thanks!  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Filing second amendment and TurboTax summary page seems to calculate Payment Due on original submission, not first amendment

What does yout amendment form say?

The summary page is not important.

the form you submit - important.

@OrganTrail 

This is an Oregon return so I don't think there's an "amendment form"--there's just a box that gets checked saying it's an amendment.  I'm pretty sure TurboTax's summary page is wrong, just surprised this isn't a bug they've caught before.  The only way their calculation appears correct is if they ignore my first amendment.

see the last page of your return where you will explain your changes 

and why you should get the additional refund or owe more tax.

You can also remark that this is a second amendment. That would be helpful.

@OrganTrail 

Thanks for the reply, @fanfare.  I think this is a good approach if I'm trying to defend my/TT's work to the state but again, with the original overpayments I mentioned it just seems that TT's summary page is incorrect.  Was hoping a TT employee/expert could confirm there's a potential bug here on multiple amendments and would only distrust my calculation if I was expressly told TT doesn't get this wrong.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies