Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing old New York State Taxes (2021)

I am filing old taxes for Federal and New York State (2021) using Turbo Tax Desktop. I had made sure to pay enough when filing the extension so there's no penalty, but I'm filing to get my refund. Don't judge me, lol.

Anyways, when I tried to e-file both, it says that the deadline to e-file with turbotax was October 31, 2022. Fair enough.

But, the paper New York State return says in big bold letters:
"New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically."

And indeed, when I go to the New York State website (https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/homepc.htm), it lists Turbo Tax Desktop as being able to e-file tax returns as far back as tax year 2021:
"You may electronically file (e-file) your New York State return for tax years 2021, 2022, and 2023, and estimated tax for tax year 2024 using approved commercial software." (And it lists 2021 as supported next to Turbo Tax Desktop).

I suspect what's happening is I'm caught in an unsupported situation, where federal filing is closed down for 2021, and I can no longer e-file state unless I'm:
1) E-Filing Federal at the same time
or
2) Have already had an accepted Federal E-file 

I can't do #1 because federal isn't supported for 2021, and I didn't happen to do #2 before the Oct 31, 2022 deadline, so I'm not longer able to file New York State.

So my questions:

A) Is there some workaround where I actually can still e-file my 2021 New York State taxes?

or
B) Is the big bold warning "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically." as big a deal as it seems in Turbo Tax instructions, or can I just send in a paper return and it'll go slower than e-file but be fine.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Filing old New York State Taxes (2021)

TurboTax does not support e-filing for past years. You are required to e-file your NY tax return IF "your software supports the electronic filing of your return." TurboTax does not support electronic filing of your past-year returns. Therefore you are not required to e-file your NY return. File it by mail. It will be fine.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies