Filing in other states
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Filing in other states

I earned money in other states other than my state of residence and need to know how to file.

2 Replies
Level 15

Filing in other states

It depends on the details: which other states, what is your residence state and what the source of the other state income is.


The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. Reciprocal state rules may apply, if you have wages from another state.

Do the nonresident state return first.

Level 15
Level 15

Filing in other states

In some cases the nonresident state will give you a credit, rather than your home state. It depends on what the specific states are.

Of course, if you worked in a state that does not have an income tax, you do not have to file in that state.


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings