Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxseasonstress
Returning Member

Filing in multiple states - Confirm Your Taxable State Wages Boxes Confusion

Hello,

My company has me based in NJ, I lived in New York and have never worked or lived in NJ. I have done some work with a client in Maryland. Thus, I have to file in 3 states. I am a filing as a New York city resident as Maryland and New jersey non resident. 

When I get to the screen

"Let's Confirm Your Taxable State Wages from..."

Below we have listed the states with wage income report on your W-2 

Check "Remove These Wages" for each state wage line that is a duplicate. Typically, New Jersey wages should be higher than federal wages because New Jersey does not allow the same federal deductions. Your federal wages on this W-2 are $112,904"

State IDState Wage Amount (Box 16)Remove these wages
NY112,904 
NJ73,861 
MD17,907  

What box am I suppose to select here?? 

In theory, I need a refund from NJ, and likely to pay MD and for sure need to pay NY.

I have no other tax complexities - no dependents, no mortgage, nothing.

I know there is an issue because turbotax is telling me i need to file NJ state taxes by mail so I know something is wrong. I filed last year had a similar issue and managed to figure it out and did not have to file by mail and my situation has not changed.

HELP!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Filing in multiple states - Confirm Your Taxable State Wages Boxes Confusion

It may be important to clear any data that may be hanging in the background of your return after you make your adjustments and before you do the state returns. You may know but be sure to do the New York (NY) resident return last.

In this situation, first please try clearing the cookies and cache.   It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

Once this is complete open your return and enter your form.

For the New Jersey (NJ) return you should have zero wages because you never worked there.  Leave the withholding in the W-2, you can try to delete the wages for that state (do not enter a zero) or in the NJ return you should have the ability to remove any wages when you come to that screen. This will allow a full refund of any tax withheld.

For the Maryland (MD) return you should include only the wages earned while you were physically present in MD. Again, you can try to remove the wages if necessary but you should be able to leave the correct wages for MD in the W-2.  If necessary use the delete key when in that box and adjust the taxable earnings when in the MD tax return.

New York (NY) will give you credit for the wages taxed in MD. Be sure the full amount of wages is in the NY state box in the W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies