Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TejP

Filing a part year resident and a part year NR returns for NJ

I moved from New Jersey to Delaware mid-2021. I am filing a part year resident and part year non-resident returns via NJ-1040 and NJ-1040NR forms. All my wages were earned in NJ with some interest and dividend income earned in Delaware post domicile address change. As per NJ returns, I am supposed to get a refund on both NJ-1040 and NJ-1040NR. But Turbo tax is only showing refund owed to me for NJ-1040. I am getting a notification " We recommend you increase the amount of tax paid that you have allocated to your resident return on the previous screen by $1,267"

Is there a reason why it doesn't show refunds under both statuses and that for me to collect the entire amount ($1267 is per 1040NR), I need to bump up the tax paid amount under resident status by $1,267 even though that amount was overpaid under NR status?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Filing a part year resident and a part year NR returns for NJ

I am assuming you have a refund of $1267 on one return and owe $1267 on the other. In that case, you could move the amount of tax paid by $1267 from the refund return to the balance due return so you can zero out.

If the difference came from your w2, you can change the state tax withheld amounts on each return. For example:

• NJ resident w2 shows $2000 NJ tax withheld
  • NJ NR w2 shows $4,000 NJ tax
  • You can move the $1267 to instead have
  • NJ resident $3267
  • NJ NR $2733

The total wages and total tax remains the same so the state can understand the math matches up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies