turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File NJ taxes while shared responsibility exemption still under review?

I applied for an exemption to NJ's Shared Responsibility Payment rule (health insurance mandate). My claim is still under review. I am otherwise ready to file my state taxes. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and file my taxes now or wait for the exemption claim to be resolved (no idea how long that will take.)

If I do file now, I know there is a place where I can list the exemption number but I'm worried maybe that's only meant for *approved* exemption claims. Or am I supposed to file now as if there is no exemption, and pay the penalty for not having health insurance, and then possibly get the penalty refunded if NJ eventually does approve my exemption?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

File NJ taxes while shared responsibility exemption still under review?

Ultimately it's your decision, but it's advisable to wait until you receive a determination on your exemption.

If you file now, you'll need to file as if no exemption exists and pay the penalty, as you suggest.  It might not sound like a big deal, but undoing something like this in a bureaucracy doesn't necessarily always go well.  It could utlimately cost you a lot of time and frustration.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies