Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax Exempt Income not carrying over to State Return

I have Federal Tax Exempt Dividend Income.  A small percentage is from investments in Connecticut and would be considered tax-exempt for Connecticut.  I've completed my Federal  return and now working on Connecticut State return.

1.  TurboTax State did not carry over the Federal Tax-Exempt Interest or Dividends to the State return.  The field is blank.   I couldn't determine the reason by looking at "Learn More".  Why was it not automatically carried over?

2.  I can enter the Federal Tax-Exempt Interest or Dividends manually.  Do I include the portion that was derived from Connecticut securities?  If yes, where in TurboTax do I take credit for the portion that is Tax-Exempt for Connecticut?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Federal Tax Exempt Income not carrying over to State Return

1. The Dividends should have carried over to your CT Tax Return.  Have you checked all entries on your 1099-DIV to make sure they were entered correctly into  TurboTax as per your Form?   Try deleting Form 1099-DIV and reentering it.

In addition. carefully go  over all of your interview questions that you encountered after initially entering your Form 1099-R and the Interview questions in your Connecticut pertaining to your dividends.

2. In rare situations, in TurboTax an addition to Connecticut income is required for any interest or dividend income on obligations or securities of any authority, commission, or instrumentality of the U.S. which federal law exempts from federal income tax but does not exempt from state income taxes.

The adjustment for the Dividends that need to be added to your CT return would be entered as an "Addition to Income"

Schedule 1 (line 38) of your Connecticut State tax Return, would be where you would add these Dividends that were not included in your Federal Income, but should have been applied to your Ct income.

Click here for additional information  on CT Additions and Subtractions.

As far as reporting the Dividends on Connecticut Securities that exempt from CT Tax, they should have been reported on your Federal return and then in a perfect world they would be be properly excluded  from your CT State Tax Return via the input of your Form 1099-DIV.   They would not be a "subtraction" to your CT income because they were also not included in your Federal AGI.

Per (page 23) Line 32: Exempt-Interest Dividends From a Mutual Fund Derived From State or Municipal Government Obligations Other Than Connecticut Enter the total amount of exempt-interest dividends received from a mutual fund that are derived from state and municipal government obligations other than obligations of the State of Connecticut or its municipalities. If the exempt-interest dividends are derived from obligations of Connecticut and other states, enter only the percentage derived from non-Connecticut obligations. Do not enter exempt-interest dividends derived from government obligations of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, or U.S. Virgin Islands. 

Example: A fund invests in obligations of many states including Connecticut. Assuming that 20% of the distribution is from Connecticut obligations, the remaining 80% would be added back on this line. 

Click here for instructions to Ct State Tax Return Form CT-1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies