turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal MFJ but VA State MFS, why now but not last year

I live & work in NY while wife lives & works in VA (courtesy of pandemic & economy).  We have homes in both states and a variety of non-wage income streams (interest and dividends) that are held jointly.  TT says we must file VA state taxes as MFS even though our Federal filing is MFJ.  I have tried the mock filing approach but I get stuck when it comes to these non-income streams.  TT tells me they can't be reported as jointly owned even though they actually are.

The other curious piece is that we were in exactly the same situation last tax filing year and TT didn't force this upon us.  We filed MFJ on Federal, VA and NY state returns.  Why now?

It makes no sense to me split the interest and/or dividend bearing accounts.  Must I track down the balance of these accounts at the end of 2023 and claim half belonged to each of us?

Please help me make sense of this madness.

TIA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. Many changes have happened. You can file a VA joint return claiming all income and a credit for tax paid on the NY income. It is more confusing this year and requires you electing the path. The 760 Instructions page 7 state: Married Taxpayers: If one spouse is a Virginia resident and the other is a nonresident, you may not file a joint Virginia return unless you both elect to determine your joint Virginia taxable income as if you were both Virginia residents.

If you look at page 6 of the instructions, there was a big push this year on domiciliary vs actual residents among the northeastern states. They created a new agreement but VA chose not to join but has re-worded their rules to be more understanding.

Under the NESTOA Agreement:

Pennsylvania entered into the North Eastern States Tax Officials Association Cooperative Agreement (NESTOA Agreement) along with Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. This agreement addresses the taxation of dual residents (that is, taxpayers who are residents of more than one state due to domicile in one state and statutory residency in another).

The NESTOA Agreement provides that in a dual residency situation, the state to which earned income is sourced gets to tax the income. For non-sourced income, such as income from intangible assets, the state of domicile gets to tax the income.

For purposes of applying the resident credit in dual residency situations, the state of domicile must give a resident credit for earned income sourced to the state of statutory residence. For non-sourced income, the state of statutory residence must give the resident credit.

If earned income is sourced to a state other than the state of domicile and state of statutory residence, then the state of domicile gets to tax the income, not the state of statutory residence. If the state to which the income is sourced imposes an income tax, then the state of domicile would give the resident credit.

Note: The reciprocal agreements are not applicable in cases of a dual resident of the reciprocal agreement states. In such cases, the NESTOA Agreement applies.

2. If you want to file MFS, you can. You do not need to split things 50/50 since VA is not a community property state. You can split it in any reasonable fashion. As long as you can show a consistent method, that is fine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

AmyC,

Thank you.  I now have an idea about what's happening (even if I have a headache after reading your reply).  It sounds like there's an option to file MFJ as long as we meet some conditions so now I wonder why TT isn't giving me that option.

Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies