Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ill and annoyed
Returning Member

FAILED_VALIDATION error when trying to transmit state and federal returns

Receive the following error message when trying to e-file returns through the downloaded software for Windows. I've tried to check for updates - nothing there. I've tried to file federal only, same error. I've downloaded the state return update, but there is nothing for federal.

The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return are sending. Make sure your TurboTax program is up-to-date: Go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file this return by mail. - FAILED_VALIDATION - There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

UPDATE:

After uninstalling the software, restarting the computer, and doing a new clean install of the software, my returns e-filed with no issues. Considering that I just installed the software less than 3 days ago, I do not understand why this would happen, but at least I was able to finally file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies