Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated tax safe harbor after moving (North Carolina)

Hello! I have some investment and self-employment income so I usually need to pay estimated taxes. I like to make the 100/110% previous year safe harbor quarterly payments, since I don't know what my income will be, and would rather not try to calculate each quarter. (Once a year is bad enough!)

Last year, I moved into North Carolina from another state, so I was only here about a quarter of the year. This year I plan to be a full-year resident.

The 2019 NC D-422 form says "Your 2018 tax return must cover a 12-month period" for the 100% prior year safe harbor option. Does that mean the only safe harbor available to me is to pay 90% of current year tax? Or can I extrapolate the prior year amount somehow -- maybe assuming same rate for whole prior year, or recalculating prior year taxes as if I were a whole year resident?

Edit: I just noticed the comparable federal instructions say the same thing about a 12-month period, so if anyone knows how a shorter year is handled federally, maybe it would be the same for NC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies