Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sreiling
Returning Member

Employer paid state tax twice

My daughter lives in MA and worked for 3 months for an employer in OH and lived there for 3 months on a temporary basis. The employer deducted state taxes twice, for MA and OH. On the W2 are separate forms for MA and OH. When I enter the W2 into Turbotax I end up with two entries in section "Boxes 15-17 State Wages and taxes withheld" with the same amount of wages for MA and OH.

Once I finish the federal return I get prompted that the total reportable income to MA is twice the wages, since it adds up the wages for MA and OH.

I then choose to only report the wages for MA.

When I proceed to file the return the SmartCheck fails, since I do not report all of the income that came from a different state and I need to file a paper return.

What is the correct to enter and report this income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Did the employer withhold Ohio taxes on the W-2?  

If not, leave out the OH line in Boxes 15-17 in the W-2 entry and TurboTax will not prompt to prepare an Ohio return.

If Ohio tax was paid (as shown on the W-2), you will have to Allocate the income between Massachusetts and Ohio, since the employer did not do so.

Divide the total income by 12, then multiply by 3 to get the three months income earned in Ohio.

Prepare a Non-Resident State Return to Ohio to get the tax refunded to her.  

Since she only lived there for work and did not plan to become a resident, she will still report all of her income to MA and also report the tax paid to Ohio.  

Click this link for more info on How to File a Non-Resident Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Did the employer withhold Ohio taxes on the W-2?  

If not, leave out the OH line in Boxes 15-17 in the W-2 entry and TurboTax will not prompt to prepare an Ohio return.

If Ohio tax was paid (as shown on the W-2), you will have to Allocate the income between Massachusetts and Ohio, since the employer did not do so.

Divide the total income by 12, then multiply by 3 to get the three months income earned in Ohio.

Prepare a Non-Resident State Return to Ohio to get the tax refunded to her.  

Since she only lived there for work and did not plan to become a resident, she will still report all of her income to MA and also report the tax paid to Ohio.  

Click this link for more info on How to File a Non-Resident Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies