Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Columbus1
Returning Member

Efiling state tax return for a C corp without efiling federal return

I have been using Turbotax Business since 2015. Because of certain additional forms that are not available in Turbotax, I have had to paper-file my federal returns, but have been e-filing NJ state returns through Turbotax.  For 2020, I printed my federal returns and mailed them to IRS a month ago. Now when I try to efile my NJ state return, Turbotax throws up an error in the state worksheet (in the company name) and doesn't let me file state return. To repeat, I have never had this problem since 2015. Can this problem be fixed?

Additional information: If I go into Forms mode before attempting to efile the state return, none of the forms shows an error. But after I attempt to efile state return without efiling federal return, NJ info worksheet shows an error. This sheet imports data from the federal information worksheet.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Columbus1
Returning Member

I still can't file my state return unless I file my federal return (for a C corp). TurboTax, please help. The time is running out.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If you paper-filed your Federal return, you probably have to paper-file your State return as well.  Most states cannot process an efiled return without confirmation of a successfully efiled Federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies