Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Double trigger RSU treatment for California part year resident

Hi, here is my situation

1. I worked in the same company 2021-now. 2021-2022(24 months) in California, 2023(12 months) in Washington. So I was a partial-year California tax resident.

2. I have a couple rsu grants. let's say i have

- 100 RSU granted on 02/2021, vested at $0 price in 02/2022

- 120 RSU granted on 02/2021, vested at $0 price in 02/2023

After vest, the time-limit condition of RSU is removed.

3. The company then offers a settlement, where the price becomes $100 in 04/2023. At that time, the company did CA state wage calculation for RSU, CA state tax withholding etc.

Like a double trigger RSU, there are 'grant date, vest date, and a settlement date', the differences are when I receive the RSU, and the price. My question is

1. How do I calculate CA state wage for RSU? This number essentially goes into w2 box 16. CA FTB Documents did not mention 'double trigger' specifically. Do I use grant date and settlement date, and ignore vest date?

For example, for both RSU grants, I work 22 months in CA since grant, 4 months in WA since vest. So my CA state wage is (100+100)*$100*(22 months/26 months). Is this right?

2. The company's wage allocation was different from above and even if corrected, I won't be able to get a w2c before Apr 15th. If the above calculation is right, in Turbotax, should I import the original W2, and enter a different state wage amount in the state tax return portion? Or should I use original W2, and file amendment when w2c arrives?

3. I want to use Turbotax to file tax return, but I am wondering can/do I need to hire an account to back up No. 2?

4. If #1 is correct but the company disagrees and not issue w2c, what choice do I have? Is it possible that there theoretically can be different ways to calculate state wage and I need to stick with the company's calculation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies