turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Double taxes in illinois?

Hello, I am considering moving from NYC to Chicago, and I read that there may be a double taxation issue. I work for an organization that does not have any physical locations in Chicago/Illinois, but I would be living full time in Chicago. I intend to travel back to NYC maybe 2 times per month (total 6 days/month) to work from NYC, and the rest of the time work remotely from Chicago. I understand that NYS will tax me as a NY resident since my work office is still in NYC, but my question is whether IL will also tax my income? Let me know if you need more information to answer this question. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, Illinois (IL) will still tax your income because your resident state wants the tax dollars for all worldwide income during your residency.  The good new is they will give you a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income.  Below is an explanation of how it works.

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state (this means you could pay a higher amount if the New York (NY) state tax is higher than IL.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, Illinois (IL) will still tax your income because your resident state wants the tax dollars for all worldwide income during your residency.  The good new is they will give you a credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income.  Below is an explanation of how it works.

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state (this means you could pay a higher amount if the New York (NY) state tax is higher than IL.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much, this is perfect!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies