turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egk1
Level 1

Do I need to submit payment to my Maryland state return if I'm submitting an amendment that reduces amount due to 0?

I submitted my 2021 MD state return about a week ago, owing $500. I have not sent in the payment yet (I elected to pay by check). Turbo Tax lists my return as 'Accepted'.

I ended up amending my 2021 federal return today (switched from standard deduction to itemized).

This has now allowed me to amend my state return (though I have to mail it in) and has lowered the amount of tax due down to $0. Turbo Tax says that I now should get a refund of $500 (a refund of the original payment that I owed, which as I stated above, I haven't yet mailed in).

The instructions on 502X said that I need to wait 6 weeks after submitting a return before I submit an amendment, which would mean I would have to wait until after the April filing deadline.

Should I:

1) Ignore the 502X instructions and mail in the amendment stating that no refund is due (since I haven't mailed the original payment), or

2) Should I mail in the original payment due, wait six weeks, and then mail in the amendment claiming a refund of the $500 just paid (this sounds ridiculous to me but… bureaucracy, ugh.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Do I need to submit payment to my Maryland state return if I'm submitting an amendment that reduces amount due to 0?

It would be easiest to mail in the payment and then get a refund later on. This is because if you don't make the payment you will get a penalty for late payment of tax which may be hard to get reversed, potentially requiring a lot of communication and back and forth with the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would be easiest to mail in the payment and then get a refund later on. This is because if you don't make the payment you will get a penalty for late payment of tax which may be hard to get reversed, potentially requiring a lot of communication and back and forth with the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies