Do I need to file the return for my former state before completing the return for the state I currently live in?

I am a North Carolina resident and paid taxes to another state during the year.  To receive a tax credit on my NC return, TurboTax advises that I need to first "complete the return" for the former state.  Does that mean I should actually file the return for the other state first or just complete it in the system before moving on to the NC return? 

No, you don't need to file the former state return yet, it just means you should complete that return before beginning your current state return.