Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mojo03
Returning Member

Do i need to file Michigan taxes because of a scholarship for a summer program at the University of Michigan?

I  am a NC resident and attend college full time in NC. I am being claimed as a dependent on my parents taxes. I will be filing federal and NC state returns because I am due refunds from taxes withheld by my employer. I attended a 6 week summer program at the University of Michigan that was fully funded. I received a 1098T from Uof M The 1098T box 1 is $2701 and Box 5 is $3901. I am planning to claim the $1200 difference as taxable income to increase the AOTC that my parents are eligible to receive. My question is do I need to file a tax return in MIchigan. I have determined that I would be considered a non resident. If it matters, these are the numbers on my federal return: 
earned income $4395
interest and dividends $283
NC tax refund in 2022 is $23
taxable scholarship income $1200

I also have a 1098T from my university in NC, but I don't think that is relevant to this issue.
Thank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Do i need to file Michigan taxes because of a scholarship for a summer program at the University of Michigan?

Yes, you will file a non-resident State of Michigan return (and most likely a city return) for the scholarship income. 

The city return should be included with the state return, but you may need to select the city return if you file as a non-resident. The city selected would be the city you lived in while in Michigan. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies