Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a CA nonresident return?

I moved out of CA, to OR, in late Dec 2022. I also retired from my job at that time, I did not work for that employer in 2023 at all. However, I received my final paycheck in January of 2023 for the work I did in 2022. Because it had some retiree payouts it was over 15K. Do I need to file a nonresident return for ty 2023 for the money I received from that employer in January?

Edit: For future seekers - I found an example put out by the CA State Franchise Tax Board. I indeed have to file. They have an example of an earner retiring in Dec, not working past Dec, but getting a final check in January of the next year.  The rules are that because the income was from work product done in CA, the earner is required to file a non-resident CA tax form. I was also required to report that income in OR, since I was a resident of OR. There is some kind of credit for paying out-of-states taxes already, so we'll see how that goes. It's so fun being taxed in two states (NOT). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file a CA nonresident return?

If you received a 2023 Form W-2 from a California employer, then you should file a nonresident California return. 

As a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:

• Services performed in California
  • Rent from real property located in California
  • The sale or transfer of real California property
  • Income from a California business, trade or profession

See this California webpage for more information. TurboTax will complete the appropriate forms based on your entries.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies