Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file state taxes in both Illinois and Wisconsin since I worked in both states even though my primary residence is Illinois?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

Do I have to file state taxes in both Illinois and Wisconsin since I worked in both states even though my primary residence is Illinois?

Definitely for Illinois.  Regarding filing a Wisconsin tax return... 

If you are a nonresident or part-year resident of Wisconsin and your Wisconsin gross income (or the combined gross income of you and your spouse) is $2,000 or more, you must file a Form 1NPR, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return. The Form 1NPR and instructions can be downloaded from our website?.

Gross income means all income (before deducting expenses) reportable to Wisconsin which you received in the form of money, property, or services. It does not include items that are exempt from Wisconsin income tax, such as U.S. government interest.

Note: Even if you do not have to file, if you had Wisconsin income tax withheld from your wages or you paid estimated tax, you should file a Wisconsin return since this is the only way to get a refund.

For more detailed information see Publication 122Tax Information for Part-Year and Nonresidents of Wisconsin. In addition, see the Form 1NPR instructions.

TomD8
Level 15

WI and IL have tax reciprocity with regard to W-2 wages.  That means that if your income from WI consisted entirely of W-2 wages, you do not have to file a WI tax return.  That income is taxable only by your home state of IL.

However, you would have to file a non-resident WI return, showing zero WI income, in order to obtain a refund if your employer mistakenly withheld WI taxes.

If you're still working in WI, and your employer is withholding WI taxes, submit this form to your payroll department: https://www.revenue.wi.gov/TaxForms2017through2019/w-220.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies