turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I file NJ part-year resident or full-year resident?

I lived in NJ through end of 2022 and was out of the country from Jan 2023 until Sept 2023.

From Jan to Sept 2023, I did not own/rent a property in NJ and no employment wages. I had income from bank and brokerage accounts during this time. I returned to NJ in Oct 2023 and rented apt.
Since I was not residing in NJ for 9 months of the year, do I file as part-year or full-year resident?
I tried reading information provided on domicile/residency booklet on NJ taxation website, but its very confusing to me.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You will file as a part year resident for 2023, and possibly a New Jersey (NJ) nonresident return. 

If you became a resident of New Jersey or you moved out of the state during the tax year, you are considered a part-year New Jersey resident. Part-year residents may be required to file a New Jersey tax return.  Since New Jersey does not have a special form for part-year filers, you must use the regular resident return, Form NJ-1040. The return provides a line for you to show the period of your residency in the state.

As a part-year resident, you report only the income you earned or received while you were a New Jersey resident. You must prorate all the credits, exclusions, exemptions, and deductions for which you qualify. That means you can take only that part of the full deduction, credit, exclusion, or exemption that represents the amount of time you were a resident of the state.

If you continued to receive income from New Jersey sources after you moved out of the state, or if you received income from New Jersey sources prior to moving to the state, then you also will have to file a New Jersey nonresident tax return, Form NJ-1040NR. In this case, you will file both a part-year resident return and a part-year nonresident return.  This could include interest or dividends if your bank or brokerage was in NJ.

You must file a return and pay tax on the income you earned if:

• Single/Married Filing Separate - $10,000
  • Married Filing Joint                    - $20,000
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You will file as a part year resident for 2023, and possibly a New Jersey (NJ) nonresident return. 

If you became a resident of New Jersey or you moved out of the state during the tax year, you are considered a part-year New Jersey resident. Part-year residents may be required to file a New Jersey tax return.  Since New Jersey does not have a special form for part-year filers, you must use the regular resident return, Form NJ-1040. The return provides a line for you to show the period of your residency in the state.

As a part-year resident, you report only the income you earned or received while you were a New Jersey resident. You must prorate all the credits, exclusions, exemptions, and deductions for which you qualify. That means you can take only that part of the full deduction, credit, exclusion, or exemption that represents the amount of time you were a resident of the state.

If you continued to receive income from New Jersey sources after you moved out of the state, or if you received income from New Jersey sources prior to moving to the state, then you also will have to file a New Jersey nonresident tax return, Form NJ-1040NR. In this case, you will file both a part-year resident return and a part-year nonresident return.  This could include interest or dividends if your bank or brokerage was in NJ.

You must file a return and pay tax on the income you earned if:

• Single/Married Filing Separate - $10,000
  • Married Filing Joint                    - $20,000
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies